Saturday, February 26, 2011

taco salad

I made taco salads with no taco shells / tortillas. I used beds of romaine lettuce (which, frankly, I should have known better. Bagged romaine lettuce = ick), and added chopped avocado, tomato, onion, and black olives. For the meat, I used 90% lean ground beef. I browned it, drained the excess fat, and added a mixture of cumin, chili powder, cayenne, thyme, oregano, garlic and onion powders, salt and corn starch. It's basically the same thing you get in those little packets of pre-made taco seasoning, except with a lot less salt and no weird chemical ingredients. I added a cup of water and simmered until the meat was saucy, then scooped it on top of the salads and topped with some plain yogurt.


Aside from the romaine lettuce having tons of crappy rib pieces in it, these were really good!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I remember my aunt made a taco salad when I was a kid- and for "taco shells", she tossed it w/Cool Ranch Doritos. Sounds crazy and unhealthy, but when I was 12, I thought it was the bestest thing ever made.

    ReplyDelete