Thursday, February 24, 2011

salmon with roasted asparagus and sauteed spinach

In an effort to be more healthy, I'm trying to transition our diet back to a focus on vegetables and protein and far less grains. Thus, tonight we had salmon and two different veggie sides!


I actually cooked the salmon and the asparagus together in a super hot (500 degree) oven. To prep the salmon, I just rolled it in some olive oil. The asparagus was the same, except I also sprinkled a little kosher salt over it. I arranged it all on the same pan and baked it for about 10 minutes at 500 degrees.

Sauteed spinach is something I really love, as there are so many different flavors you can incorporate into it. For this batch, I chopped up three slices of uncured bacon and cooked them until they got quite crisp. I scooped the bacon out and put it on some paper towel to drain while I chopped up half a white onion and sauteed that in the accumulated bacon fat (don't worry, it wasn't that much). When the onion was soft and golden brown, I added some balsamic vinegar and let it cook out for a minute or so. I added a whole bag of baby spinach to the hot pan and tossed it until the spinach wilted. So yummy!

2 comments:

  1. We've been having roasted salmon and asparagus once a week since the asparagus has some back into the grocery store at a good price. We love it w/a drizzle of balsamic dressing. I make the regular Good Seasons Italian dressing w/a good, dark balsamic vinegar (instead of red wine vinegar). We love this classic dressing- the kind in the dry packet w/the bottle that you fill vinegar to the V line, add water to the W line, oil to the O line. Anyway, salmon is the bomb drizzled w/this.

    ReplyDelete