Wednesday, January 11, 2012

steak night

We have steak pretty regularly anyway, but celebratory dinners at our house usually mean GOOD steak. This...was one of those times. I kept swinging between T-bone and ribeye before I got to the grocery store, salivating at the thought of both. Tender, juicy ribeye! Gnaw-the-meat-off-the-bone T-bone! How could I decide?!

When I got to the meat counter, I found two gorgeous ribeyes that made the decision for me. It was a total no-brainer. I brought them home, got my favorite pan ripping hot with some olive oil in it, and started them searing. Meanwhile, there was some asparagus that needed tending to. Once the woody ends were broken off, the asparagus spears went onto a foil-lined baking sheet with a bit of olive oil and a good dose of sea salt. I gave them a roll around the pan to coat, then popped the pan into a 400 degree oven. By the time I got the asparagus in the oven, the steak was ready to flip over (I sear for 3 minutes per side, usually).

Once the steaks were seared on both sides, I put them on another baking sheet in the oven and gave the asparagus pan a shake. To the pan I'd cooked the meat in, I added a sliced onion and some sliced white mushrooms. While everything continued to cook, I made up a vinaigrette of olive oil, white wine vinegar, some Irish stout mustard and a little salt. I tossed some mixed greens in the vinaigrette and plated the salad, then pulled one steak and the asparagus after about 3 minutes (I prefer my steak rare). I left the second steak in the oven for another 3 minutes (my husband likes his steak medium), then pulled it out and let it rest for a few minutes more while the onions and mushrooms finished cooking.

Everything eventually made it onto the plate, and it looked like this:


Ribeye is, generally speaking, well worth the extra money it costs, at least in my opinion. It's flavorful, tender, juicy, and just plain GOOD. These steaks needed no dressing or sauce of any kind. They were just pure, unadulterated beefiness. I wish I had another one for dessert. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment