Monday, January 9, 2012

porktopia, and some lettuce wraps

There was a 3lb boneless pork butt on sale at the grocery store yesterday, and I just couldn't pass it up. ;) This morning, I dosed it up with salt and pepper and a little ground sage and stuck it in the crock pot with a cup of water. By the time I got home tonight, the whole place smelled like pork-topia! The meat literally fell apart in chunks when I started to take it out of the crock pot. It was glorious, and I had to tell myself to stop eating it straight from the plate several times while I was prepping the other components for dinner.


One of the best things to do with shredded pork, in my opinion, is make Asian lettuce wraps. I take a portion of meat, shredded carrot, thinly sliced red pepper, sliced scallion, and pile it all on a lettuce leaf (I like Boston lettuce, if I can get it). I top it with a sauce made of hoisin, a little tamari, a bit of rice vinegar, some toasted sesame oil and some sesame seeds. My lettuce wraps also get a healthy squirt of Sriracha, though my husband skips that part on his. ;)

2 comments:

  1. That looks nice and bright and refreshing. I recently got a 3lb pork butt and made a nice stew. Browned the butt, added a large can of petit diced tomatoes, half a jar of leftover salsa, a couple spoonfuls of Goya Sofrito (I always have this in the fridge- it lasts a long time and adds a cilantro kick to anything Mexican), cumin, onions, garlic... let it crock in the pot all day then added large white beans at the end. Pulled the meat out, shredded it, put it back in. It ended up kind of being a chili but it tasted lighter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a fair amount of leftover meat from last night, as well as some leftover shredded braised beef from Sunday night. I'm thinking the beef might end up being made into chili tonight.

    ReplyDelete