Monday, June 7, 2010

steak quesadillas - a tale of leftovers

There was a piece of chuck steak in the fridge that needed to be used up, as well as some tortillas. My friend Amy had been talking about quesadillas earlier in the day, so I had them on the mind. I got my cast iron pan ripping hot, salted and peppered both sides of the steak, and tossed it in the pan for 3 minutes per side (yes, I like it pretty much raw...still tasting of cow and all that). The steak then came out to rest on a plate while I chopped up some leftover green bell pepper and used a vegetable peeler to make paper-thin slices of the beautiful purple radishes I got at the farmer's market. I re-oiled the cast iron pan and put in a tortilla, a handful of sharp cheddar (another leftover!), some green pepper, some radish, and a few thin slices of the now-rested steak. I folded the tortilla over on top of the filling, pressed it down a little, and voila...toasty crisp outside with a combination of crispness and softness inside. Cut in half and served with a dollop of sour cream and a nice big pile of additional paper-thin radish for some heat (the ones cooked in the quesadillas mellow and turn sweet and nutty...no heat left to them). Yay for leftovers!

1 comment: