Sunday, June 13, 2010

beef bulgogi

Flipping through one of my cookbooks this afternoon, I came across a recipe for Beef Bulgogi. A light turned on in my head and I remembered the beef bulgogi I had at a little Korean place several times during pilgrimages to Northampton, MA, with friends. It looked so simple. I HAD to try it.

The recipe called for rib eye steak. I used chuck instead because it was WAY cheaper and because I like the taste of it better. I used two big red onions, a green pepper, and I made a marinade of soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar, ginger and garlic. The meat and veggies both sit in the marinade (separately!) for 20 min or so, then you stir-fry and serve either with rice or in lettuce "cups". Easy peasy...and I'm telling you, SO GOOD!! The sesame oil combined with the fat in the beef creates an amazing nutty buttery-ness. I just wanted to keep eating it and eating it. And really, aside from the fact that it's red meat, it's actually really healthy. It was a little too juicy to be easily eaten just wrapped in the lettuce, but I can tweak it a little to fix that. This could be my new favorite quick week-night dinner. I don't think I can sell Mark on kimchi to go with it, though...;)

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmm... Bulgogi. Get in mah belleh. It can be a bit juicy- if you put down a light layer of rice into the lettuce cups, it will help soak up some of that. Brown rice would work and be a bit healthier. Also, red leaf or green leaf lettuce is good for eating meaty packages in this style. Just remember you have to fold the whole thing up and shove the whole thing into your mouth. You can't take itty bitty bites of it. That's not the Korean way. :)

    ReplyDelete