Monday, January 9, 2012

porktopia, and some lettuce wraps

There was a 3lb boneless pork butt on sale at the grocery store yesterday, and I just couldn't pass it up. ;) This morning, I dosed it up with salt and pepper and a little ground sage and stuck it in the crock pot with a cup of water. By the time I got home tonight, the whole place smelled like pork-topia! The meat literally fell apart in chunks when I started to take it out of the crock pot. It was glorious, and I had to tell myself to stop eating it straight from the plate several times while I was prepping the other components for dinner.


One of the best things to do with shredded pork, in my opinion, is make Asian lettuce wraps. I take a portion of meat, shredded carrot, thinly sliced red pepper, sliced scallion, and pile it all on a lettuce leaf (I like Boston lettuce, if I can get it). I top it with a sauce made of hoisin, a little tamari, a bit of rice vinegar, some toasted sesame oil and some sesame seeds. My lettuce wraps also get a healthy squirt of Sriracha, though my husband skips that part on his. ;)