Friday, July 15, 2011

stuffed pork chops and zucchini gratin

Pork chops, especially stupidly big ones, make me happy. I don't know if you've picked up on that yet or not. The more ridiculously thick and dinosaur-like they look, the stronger my urge to possess them, cook them and yes...eat them.

These pork chops were boneless loin chops cut about 2 1/2 inches thick. I carefully cut a pocket into each of them, being sure not to cut all the way through the outside edges as I carved. I seasoned them with salt and pepper, then stuffed them with a mixture of finely chopped onion, mushroom, garlic, dried sage (because I couldn't find fresh at the store), fresh thyme, and a little olive oil. I tied the chops with some kitchen twine so that they wouldn't flop open and lose all their lovely stuffing. The chops then got seared in a hot pan in a mixture of a little olive oil and a little butter until they were nicely browned on both sides and the wide bottom edge. They then went into a 450 degree oven for 12 minutes, then came out and were allowed to rest for 10 minutes before I cut the twine off and plated them.

The zucchini gratin was very simple - two zukes and two yellow squash sliced and tossed in a mixture of a little cream and a 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese. I put it into a lightly greased baking dish and topped it with another 1/4 cup of Parmesan. It cooked in a 450 degree oven for about 35 minutes. When the squash is tender, it's done.


I would definitely make these again, but I think I'd re-jig the stuffing somewhat. My husband, on the other hand, deemed his pork chop "utterly orgasmic". ;) Also, no grains anywhere to be found, lots of protein and veggies...counts as a Primal meal in my book!

3 comments:

  1. omg, your chop looks like a hot dog bun. put in a hot dog next time!!

    i loooove zucchini and squash but dollar's not a fan. i am impressed w/all the veggies that mark eats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's really good about veggies if I put them in front of him, yes! He won't really seek them out on his own, but he'll happily eat them if I prepare them. The only thing he's not really wild about is Brussels Sprouts, but even then he'll still eat them.

    It's funny to watch him eat because he'll usually eat all the veg first and save the meat for last. I like to eat forkfuls of different things together so the tastes intermingle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dollar cuts up all the meat on his plate into bite-sized pieces and then sets the knife down and eats. he can't cut off a bite at a time; he cuts the steak or whatever all at once. i don't know if that's the way his mom does it (or did it for him) but he just can't not cut it all up at once.

    ReplyDelete