Friday, July 15, 2011

stuffed pork chops and zucchini gratin

Pork chops, especially stupidly big ones, make me happy. I don't know if you've picked up on that yet or not. The more ridiculously thick and dinosaur-like they look, the stronger my urge to possess them, cook them and yes...eat them.

These pork chops were boneless loin chops cut about 2 1/2 inches thick. I carefully cut a pocket into each of them, being sure not to cut all the way through the outside edges as I carved. I seasoned them with salt and pepper, then stuffed them with a mixture of finely chopped onion, mushroom, garlic, dried sage (because I couldn't find fresh at the store), fresh thyme, and a little olive oil. I tied the chops with some kitchen twine so that they wouldn't flop open and lose all their lovely stuffing. The chops then got seared in a hot pan in a mixture of a little olive oil and a little butter until they were nicely browned on both sides and the wide bottom edge. They then went into a 450 degree oven for 12 minutes, then came out and were allowed to rest for 10 minutes before I cut the twine off and plated them.

The zucchini gratin was very simple - two zukes and two yellow squash sliced and tossed in a mixture of a little cream and a 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan cheese. I put it into a lightly greased baking dish and topped it with another 1/4 cup of Parmesan. It cooked in a 450 degree oven for about 35 minutes. When the squash is tender, it's done.


I would definitely make these again, but I think I'd re-jig the stuffing somewhat. My husband, on the other hand, deemed his pork chop "utterly orgasmic". ;) Also, no grains anywhere to be found, lots of protein and veggies...counts as a Primal meal in my book!