Friday, July 8, 2011

pan-fried pork chops and roasted potatoes

I found some lovely pork chops on sale at the store and decided I'd try a new recipe with them. The recipe, from Cook's Country (the people who also do America's Test Kitchen, which I adore), is here. It's very simple - just some paprika, cayenne, salt, pepper and garlic powder to season, and some flour to dredge in. The "secret" to the recipe is bacon. It calls to chop up and cook some bacon to render the fat out, then add oil to the bacon fat and shallow-fry the chops in it. The bacon gives the chops a lovely smokey flavor, and the double-dredging in flour makes for a great crisp crust.

The roasted potatoes are my usual - red potatoes tossed with salt, pepper, ground sage, thyme, rosemary, and olive oil, then baked on a cookie sheet at 475 for about 30 minutes. I got wrapped up in doing the chop stuff and forgot to stir my potatoes for about 20 minutes so they stuck, but they still tasted fantastic!

I apologize for the weird blue glow on the picture. I was over by the laptop and the TV and didn't really think about the effect that would have at the time. Oops. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment