Thursday, September 16, 2010

Spanish chicken skillet

SO yummy, and really quite healthy and inexpensive. We will definitely be having this again.



Spanish Chicken Skillet

2 tsp paprika
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (3 half breasts)
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
1 onion, cut into wedges
1 14-oz can of diced tomatoes, UNDRAINED
1/2 cup chicken broth

- Mix flour, salt, and all the spices except the crushed red pepper on a plate or wide bowl. Cut chicken breasts in half to make 6 serving-sized pieces. Dredge chicken lightly in flour and spice mixture. Reserve remainder of flour mixture!

- Cook chicken in hot oil in a large skillet on medium about 3 minutes per side, until browned. Remove chicken from skillet, set aside. Add bell pepper and onion to pan, cook and stir for about 5 minutes, until tender.

- Stir in tomatoes, broth, and remaining flour mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Stir in crushed red pepper to taste. Return chicken to skillet. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.

- Serve chicken and sauce over brown rice. Makes 6 servings.

4 comments:

  1. Mmm, that looks so good. And nice and saucy. I always get green pepper and onion every week and I'm constantly trying to finder new/better ways to do boneless skinless chicken breasts and tenders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making this and kielbasa soup next week. Come on Shelby, I have 2-3 more meals to plan, help me out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It definitely sauced up nicely, which made me happy. Next time I'm going to gussy up the rice a little. I want to try it with some sliced green olives and maybe a little saffron if I can get ahold of some without bankrupting myself. ;)

    Val - I do requests...what do you guys like? Give me a direction and I'll see what I can come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nevermind, I cruised the archives... making greek style pizza and angel hair w/peas and bacon. NOM!

    ReplyDelete