Friday, September 10, 2010

kielbasa kale soup

Sorry I've been gone so long! We've moved house, and are just about settled in. The kitchen is far bigger and easier to work in than my old one, so I'm very excited to get back to cooking regularly.

Tonight's effort, for your nomming pleasure:



Kielbasa Kale Soup
this was inspired by a conversation with my good friend Amy, about a kielbasa soup she threw together on the fly that turned out really well. As always, thanks Amy! :)

1 loop of kielbasa, chopped (I used McKenzie)
half of one yellow onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, peeled and chopped
2 ribs of celery, chopped
1 large (or 2-3 small) cloves of garlic, chopped
2 big handfuls of kale, washed, stemmed and roughly chopped
6 cups of chicken stock (I use half low-sodium and half regular)
1 15-oz can of white beans
2 tsp dried thyme
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste

In a dutch oven, lightly brown kielbasa. Once browned, remove meat but leave rendered fat. Add onion, carrot and celery and cook over medium heat until all is softened slightly. Add chopped garlic, cook a minute or so more. Add the kielbasa back into the pot, along with the chopped kale. Continue to cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until kale softens slightly, about 2 minutes. Add a cup of chicken stock, scraping bottom of pan to deglaze. Add the rest of the chicken stock, the beans, crumbled thyme, bay leaves, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer 15-20 minutes on low, or until kale is tender.

We had it with some nice semolina bread that I brushed with garlic and olive oil and toasted under the broiler.

3 comments:

  1. I think you addition of kale makes your soup about 1000% more healthy than mine! Is the kale bitter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, the bitterness goes away as it cooks. It ended up having a nice nutty flavor. It smelled sooooo good while it was cooking. Torture!

    I used full-fat kielbasa, but I think it would work just as well with a turkey kielbasa to make even more healthy. You know...if you're into that kinda thing...;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I take back any previous disparaging comments about the idea of kielbasa soup. This looks yummy! May try next week with some turkey kielbasa (not only healthier, but also cheaper which I am definitely into!).

    ReplyDelete