Monday, July 12, 2010

hot summer night cooking

It's been way too hot to cook inside. A friend has lent us a gas grill for a function we hosted over the weekend, so I've been using it as much as possible before it has to go back home. Tonight, it was my old favorite, turkey burgers!

I made the patties out of ground turkey, grated onion, garlic salt, paprika and a little cayenne pepper. While those were on the grill, I sliced up a couple of summer squash and put them on to steam, then made some chickpea salad out of chickpeas (duh), chopped tomato, diced red onion, and a splash each of olive oil and red wine vinegar. When the burgers were done, I quickly toasted the buns and then dosed them with barbecue sauce, sliced avocado and sliced red onion.

One of my prettier plates, if I do say so myself, and I'd happily eat this 3 nights a week...maybe 4. :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, your avocado looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally lucked out with that avocado, man. It felt on the hard side, and I was prepared for disaster when I cut into it, but it split perfectly and peeled with no problems at all. There's not much that irritates me more than getting an avocado and either having it be rock hard and unusable, or peeling it to find that it's half mush already. Blech.

    ReplyDelete