Sunday, March 6, 2011

spaghetti squash

I had been reading a lot of recipes involving spaghetti squash and realized I'd never actually had it, so I bought one and gave it a try.

First of all, it's about the easiest thing to cook EVER. I just split the squash, scraped out the seeds, and put it in the microwave for 15 minutes. When it was done, I held each half (wearing an oven mitt) and scraped the pulp out with a fork. It does in fact come right out like spaghetti! I probably derived way too much amusement out of the pulp-scraping process. :)

The squash doesn't taste like spaghetti, of course - but it's bland enough that it's a perfect vehicle for pretty much any sauce. I whipped up a quick tomato sauce with Italian sausage, green pepper and mushrooms.

It was really good! I'll definitely be making spaghetti squash again.

2 comments:

  1. How's the texture of the spaghetti squash? I think I had it once years ago and I remember it being crunchy- like bean sprout shoots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't CRUNCHY, per se. It was certainly firm though, like maybe very slightly under-done pasta? I really liked it. Mark was kind of weirded out by the texture at first, but he scarfed a whole bowl of it with the sauce, so I guess it didn't bother him THAT much...;)

    ReplyDelete