Thursday, March 10, 2011

pork stirfry

I got a big package of pork chops on sale...YAY! Three of them were sirloin chops, which are the ones with bone through the middle...BOO. Undeterred, I took a few minutes to cut the meat from around the bones on the sirloin chops and decided it was stir-fry night! I threw the meat into a bath of garlic, ginger, soy sauce, honey, toasted sesame oil, Sriracha and white wine and let it soak while I chopped up veggies. I had a head of cauliflower I needed to use up, as well as some mushrooms, the better part of a green pepper and some carrots. I made ribbons out of the carrot because a) it's fun and b) I like them better that way because then you don't get a whole mouthful of just carrot taste (which I detest).

The veggies went into my big non-stick pan on medium. I put the biggest lid I have on the pan to trap the steam and help cook the veggies through more quickly. In a regular (not non-stick) pan, I heated a little olive oil until it was shimmery and started stir-frying the pork in batches and then removing it to a bowl off to the side. When the last batch was cooked almost through, I dumped the rest of the previously-cooked pork back into the pan. I added a little cornstarch and a handful of sesame seeds to the remainder of the marinade and dumped that into the pan as well, letting it come to a boil and thicken. The veggies were tender at that point, so I put them on the plates, added the meat and sauce, and voila! Nommy stir-fried pork with lots of healthy steamed veggies and no rice. Mark cleaned his plate in record time so I took that as a sign that he enjoyed it. :)

1 comment: