Sunday, May 16, 2010

Grilled Pork Tenderloin Medallions and Veggies

It's been a gorgeous day (albeit windy!) and I was hearing the siren song of the grill pretty much all day. I had a pork tenderloin thawing, and I kept contemplating an effective way to cook it on the grill. Then it hit me...DUH! Slice it into medallions! I decided to have some grilled veggies with it, and this is what I ended up with:



For the medallions, I made a dry rub of a little garlic salt and some dried rosemary, marjoram, basil, parsley and black pepper. I sliced the tenderloin into slices about 3/4 of an inch thick and rubbed the mixture of herbs onto both sides of each medallion, then grilled for about 5 minutes on the first side and 3 minutes on the second side. This yielded nice, moist medallions with just the slightest tinge of pink left in the middle (the best way to have pork, in my opinion).



Veggies were eggplant, zucchini, baby portabella mushrooms, garlic cloves and red peppers. I stuck the red peppers on the grill whole and let them char for a while, turning every few minutes. I then put them in a ziploc bag and let them steam for 20 minutes so that I could remove the skins, seed and slice. For the eggplant, I prepped it by slicing, salting, and letting it rest in the colander for 30 minutes. I sliced the zucchini in about inch-wide slices and stuck them on skewers along with the mushrooms and a bunch of cloves of garlic (I didn't bother to peel them, as the peels come off nicely once the garlic is cooked, anyway). I made up a mixture of olive oil and balsamic vinegar and brushed a little onto the skewers and some onto the rinsed and dried eggplant rounds. The eggplant went onto the grill for just a couple minutes a side, with a brush or two of additional oil and vinegar during cooking.



The skewers cooked for about 5 minutes a side, with additional applications of the dressing, as well.



I was pretty happy with how everything turned out, though I wish I hadn't used the garlic salt in my pork rub. Mark said he didn't mind it, but I'm really salt-sensitive and I found it somewhat overwhelming. All in all a good Sunday dinner!

2 comments:

  1. Nothing better than a nice meal al fresco! I love pork when it's just barely done, too. That looks like a very nommy dinner :) I think grilled button mushrooms are the best.

    Does the garlic get soft at all? Just wondering if it get spreadable...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It softened up some, but my grill was super hot so I didn't dare leave the skewers on too much longer lest I end up with charcoal instead of veggies...;) It was mellow enough to be able to eat straight off the skewers but not quite spreadable. If I had used smaller cloves it might have cooked through more quickly.

    ReplyDelete