Wednesday, April 4, 2012

prosciutto mushroom stuffed pork chops

As many of my cooking stories begin, so does this one - trawling through the meat department at the grocery store. I encountered a pair of nearly-two-inch-thick boneless pork chops that just begged to be stuffed, so home with me they came! Here's what I did with them:

The stuffing is a quick and simple combination of minced onion, white mushrooms, garlic and thyme, sauteed in a little butter. I cut a deep pocket into each chop, laid a piece of prosciutto into each one along with a piece of fontina cheese, then stuffed the mushroom mixture in. I pan-seared the chops for 2 minutes per side, then put them on a pre-heated pan in a 450 degree oven. The chops baked for 10 minutes while I steamed some asparagus, then it was time to eat.

As you can see, my stuffing started to fall out as I was taking pictures. I usually tie meat up with kitchen twine when I've stuffed it, but I didn't bother this time...and I re-learned my lesson! Other than the stuffing falling out, these came out quite well. I really like fontina cheese - it melts so smoothly, and it has a really nice nutty flavor that, in this dish, mixed nicely with the sweetness of the onions and the saltiness of the prosciutto.

2 comments:

  1. Oooohhhhh, that looks so good. I made an edible supper last night but made such a lazy, rookie mistake, I refuse to even describe it to you.

    I love that it's asparagus season!!! I'm on a daily prowl for ramps around my place. You want some if I find the magic field of omg-so-many ramps around my house? My neighbor told me about it last summer and I want to look for it but... so many bear sightings around my house, I'm kind of skeered. I heard them outside the other night, when Dollar was gone. It was dark, so I didn't see it/them, but I told him, "Whatever was making noise didn't care how much noise it was making, so it must have been big. Like, either a bear or a moose. Or an elephant."

    But, ah... I digress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh, I definitely want some ramps if you can find them and get past the guard bears. It's like something out of Skyrim! ;)

    ReplyDelete