Wednesday, October 9, 2013

bacon-wrapped chicken thighs

I was flipping through "Practical Paleo" the other day, looking for inspiration for this week's menu, when I came across her recipe for bacon-wrapped chicken thighs. I say recipe...it involves wrapping chicken thighs in bacon and, uhhh...baking them. Not exactly complicated, which is fine by me. I cooked the thighs at 375 for about 35 minutes - they stayed juicy, but the bacon didn't crisp up how I wanted so I ended up blasting them at 475 for about 10 more minutes as well. It's times like this I wish I had a broiler! The bacon was still tasty though, don't get me wrong.

Wrap me in bacon and call me hungry.
That's actually kabocha squash there in the back. Normally I roast it in slices, but I wanted to try cooking it whole this time and mashing it, just to see if it would work. When it first came out of the oven, I was a little worried that I had created a disaster since the squash was quite dry and powdery, but the addition of a couple tablespoons of butter smoothed it right out. I had dusted the squash halves with garam masala before cooking so the resulting mash was not only nutty and slightly sweet but also had a nice spice to it.

The salad is just spring mix and halved grape tomatoes tossed with a simple vinaigrette of extra virgin olive oil, a little balsamic vinegar and about a teaspoon of stone-ground mustard.

No comments:

Post a Comment