Tuesday, December 21, 2010

holiday goodies

I've been really busy making goodies for various holiday functions lately. I haven't even had time to take pictures of everything - there were caramels and English toffee, a really cool cheese platter, and I even took a stab at making crackers, although that didn't go so well.

I did manage to get a picture of the peanut brittle I made, which came out super fantastic! It's so easy to make - it just takes a little patience.



Here are some coconut macaroons, as well. I don't put as much sugar in them as the recipe calls for because the coconut is sweet enough as it is. When they bake, they get really nicely toasty and crunchy on the outside, but stay creamy and soft inside. So yummy!

4 comments:

  1. OOOH, I think I need a recipe for those macaroons!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're ridiculously easy!

    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

    You will need:

    3 egg whites
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 tsp salt
    14 oz bag of sweetened shredded coconut

    Whip the egg whites, sugar and salt until frothy. Stir in the coconut until combined - I find it's much easier if you use a fork. Drop by level tablespoonfuls onto a parchment-lined baking sheet (if you don't have parchment you can coat the sheet well with Pam). The cookies won't spread, so you can cram them in pretty close together on the sheet. Cook for 10-12 minutes, then rotate baking sheet and cook for another 10-12 minutes, until lightly golden and toasty.

    If desired, you can melt a couple ounces of semi-sweet chocolate and drizzle over the tops of the baked macaroons, or dip the whole top into the chocolate like I did.

    Enjoy! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. so many goodies, so little time...

    ReplyDelete