Tuesday, June 14, 2011

rhubarb berry pie


Rhubarb has factored heavily in my summer eats as far back as I can remember - rhubarb pie, rhubarb cake, rhubarb sauce, rhubarb compote, rhubarb conserves. Maybe it's just a Vermont thing, I don't know...but rhubarb seems omnipresent around here in the summer. Thus, summer officially arrives for me when I get the first call from my dad that the rhubarb is ready to cut!

This pie is actually my dad's idea. The first time he added blueberries to a rhubarb pie, I thought he'd done lost his mind, but it was SO. GOOD. Now berry-rhubarb pie is my favorite! I've never actually measured anything except the sugar in this "recipe". I basically just peel and chop what looks like 2.5 cups of rhubarb, add about a cup of frozen mixed berries, add about 3/4 of a cup of granulated sugar (you may want to use more - I like my pie pretty tangy), 2 Tbsp of flour, and toss to combine. I dump it into a prepared, docked pie crust (no, I don't make pie crust from scratch. It's one of the few things I've decided is more of a pain in the ass to make at home than it's worth. HAH!), then roll out a top crust and use cookie cutters to cut some decorations out. The top crust goes on, the edges get crimped, the decorations get stuck on, and the whole thing gets brushed with a beaten egg and sprinkled with a little bit of granulated sugar, and it goes into the oven for about 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment