Tuesday, April 12, 2011

chicken bacon avocado salad

I've made this one a few times. I actually got the basic recipe from the Mark's Daily Apple blog a long time ago, and have tweaked it a couple different ways to fit what I've got in the house at the time.

The basic gist is that you chop up some bacon into little bits, fry it, then drain the bacon and reserve some of the fat. Leave the rest of the fat in the pan, and cook some cut-up chicken thighs in it. Use the reserved bacon fat and some apple cider vinegar plus some dijon mustard to make a vinaigrette. Dress some lettuce (I use romaine) with the vinaigrette and top with chicken, bacon, cut-up avocado, chunks of green apple, red onion, and whatever else you have hanging around. I indulged a little tonight and picked up some wonderful locally made raw-milk cheese to shave over my salad as well. You could easily use Parmesan instead, or a nice sharp cheddar.

No comments:

Post a Comment