Sunday, July 8, 2012

every day I'm trifle-in'

Not every day at all, actually...more like once a year. Making trifle for the 4th of July has apparently become a tradition for me. Everyone in my family really likes it, and I enjoy making it, so it's just kind of an automatic for the big family get-together on the 4th, now.

This year, I couldn't decide whether to do blueberry and lemon or strawberry rhubarb, so I did both - one in each layer - and it was awesome. I will admit, the finished product wasn't exactly pretty. I didn't have the patience to be meticulous with my layers and so it started to look kind of like a tie-dye session gone awry, but sweet monkey overlords, was it tasty!

Trifle 


The only part of this trifle that wasn't home-made was the anglefood cake, because it was WAY too hot to bake a cake. The blueberry layer was made from local blueberries, a little sugar, a little butter, some corn starch and the juice of a lemon. The custard was made from scratch as well - no Jell-O boxed mixes, thank you! It was made of eggs and cream both from a local farm, and a bit of sugar and vanilla. The strawberry layer was made from strawberries from the farm just up the road, rhubarb from my dad's garden, and a bit of sugar. The top layer is, of course, more cream, whipped with just a tiny bit of sugar. I'd have soaked the cake with sherry as an homage to my Welsh mother-in-law, but I didn't make it to the liquor store in time and thus was sherry-less (the SHAME, I KNOW!).

Next year I think I'd like to try making my own sponge cake rather than using a store-bought angelfood cake. The anglefood cake works fine, but it's just...I don't know. It just doesn't quite GO with the rest of it somehow, if you see what I mean.

Also, for any of my Paleo-diet friends or low-carb'ers reading this, no...this is clearly not compliant. Holidays happen. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment