Sunday, May 8, 2011

catching up

Sorry I've been gone so long! Here are some of the goodies I've made in the past few weeks. If you're interested in specific recipes for anything, drop me a line or leave a comment and I'll write it up for you and post it. I'll be back to regularly scheduled posts with recipes starting this coming week, I promise. :)

Pot Roast with carrots, onions and gravy:

Home-made almond butter:

Tzatziki burgers with kale chips:

Easter quiche - mushroom and chives:

Ham, zucchini and onion saute:

MOAR QUICHE! Ham, onion and cheddar cheese:

MOAR QUICHE! Ham, onion and cheddar cheese:

gyro salad:

pot roast with onions and carrots, parmesan-roasted asparagus:

super duper salad with salmon:

3 comments:

  1. Okay, I've just added quiche to things that I must cook this week. Eggy, cheesey, hammy, oniony quiche.

    Are you doing crust-less quiches? Just curious if you are- do you change normal cooking temp or time?

    I was REALLY bad about eating out for a while here recently. Thanks for inspiration and motivation to cook at home. Homemade food is always so much tastier and healthier and cheaper than eating out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I frickin' love quiche, man! You can put any combo of meat, veg and cheese in it and it's just awesome.

    Yes, I do it crust-less. I butter the dish thoroughly so that it doesn't stick, and for a 9" glass pie plate like the one in the pictures, I bake at 325 for about 45-55 minutes. You kind of have to eyeball it toward the end. You want it to just barely still have a touch of jiggle in the middle, ideally. I pretty much check it every 5 minutes from 45 minutes on.

    Here's the base recipe I use for a 9" quiche, tweaking the liquid back somewhat if I'm using wetter ingredients, etc:

    2 cups cream, half and half, milk, or a combination of those
    6 large eggs, beaten
    1.5 cup grated cheddar cheese
    .5 cup grated parmesan cheese
    .75 teaspoon kosher salt
    small pinch grated nutmeg (don't skip this! It makes a huge difference!)

    Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Butter 9" glass pie plate. Combine all ingredients and whisk until well blended. Pour the mixture in the buttered dish and place it on a baking sheet.
    Bake for about 45 minutes, until puffed and still ever so slightly jiggly in the center.

    Cool on a rack briefly, then serve them warm or at room temperature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you just grind straight up almonds for the nut butter or ??? Thinking this might be cheaper as a DIY, details please!

    ReplyDelete