Monday, February 7, 2011

30-minute mini meatloaf

I got this recipe out of an America's Test Kitchen magazine, which I really do adore, but I have to say that whoever was timing this recipe and decided it only takes 30 minutes from start to finish? Is on crack. It was more like 45 minutes, and that's even with averaging in some of the things I knew I was being a slow-ass on. The end product was great and totally worth it, but it was most decidedly not a 30 minute meal.

I started with a mixture of pulverized saltine crackers, Worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard, an egg, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, cayenne and a bunch of chopped fresh parsley. I added a pound of ground beef and a pound of ground pork and squished it all around until it was mixed, then formed it into four 4"x3" mini-loaves. These went into a pan with some canola oil to brown on both sides. The glaze is made of ketchup, brown sugar and cider vinegar. When the loaves were browned on both sides in the pan, they were transferred onto a broiler pan and the glaze was spooned over. They went into a 500 degree oven for about 12 minutes, until they hit 160 on the meat thermometer. I pulled them out and let them sit while I tossed the salad (haha) with a dijon vinaigrette.

The meatloaf came out nicely moist and flavorful, with a good crust on the outside. I don't normally go for ketchup baked onto the top of meatloaf, but the glaze in this recipe is actually quite good. I'll definitely make these again, though I won't be telling my husband that it will be ready in 30 minutes! ;)

1 comment:

  1. Eeee, it's so adorables!

    I love the ketchup-y glaze on top of meatloaf. I've been wanting to make individual meatloafs, too. Hmm... I did just buy some ground beef...

    ReplyDelete