Friday, August 13, 2010

pork chops and burgers and corn, oh my!

Sorry to have been absent for so long. We went on vacation to Indianapolis (to GenCon! Geeky!) for a week and I've been trying to recover all this week. Following are a couple of meals I've made in the past few days:



HP burgers with sauteed mushrooms and onions, and grilled corn on the cob:

My husband is Welsh, and he's obsessed with HP Sauce. I am of the opinion that it tastes like a slightly sweeter version of A-1 Steak Sauce, but he disagrees. Anyway, any time I cook meat that doesn't already have sauce or a strong flavor of its own, he puts HP Sauce on it. I decided that I'd save him the trouble with these burgers and just make them HP Sauce-infused. I mixed some HP Sauce into the meat along with salt and pepper, garlic powder and a bit of grated onion. I grilled the burgers along with some corn on the cob (I just rub it with olive oil and plonk it on the grill till it's toasty-looking), and sauteed some sliced onions and mushrooms to go atop the burgers. They came out great, though my corn wasn't the freshest and it came out kind of mealy. Normally with good fresh corn, grilling keeps it nice and juicy and tasty...but old corn is, well...old corn!


Grilled Pork Chops with Ginger Garlic Soy Glaze, served with stir-fried veggies and brown rice:



I love, love, love these. They're so easy and SO good. The marinade is just soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, brown sugar, grated garlic and grated fresh ginger root. I use boneless center-cut loin chops, and I spoon the extra marinade over the meat as it grills. I stir-fried some onion, green pepper and mushrooms to go with the meat, and I cooked up some brown rice with a bit of rice-wine vinegar in it as well. Next time I make these, I think I'm going to put the chops on the grill and dump the extra marinade in a pan to reduce down so that there's a sauce for the veggies and rice. Maybe a little tiny bit of corn-starch to tighten the sauce up...

I'm nearly ready to make them again right now, just thinking about it! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment